Photograph of Mountain Battery Lines in Abbottabad, now in Pakistan, from the Macnabb Collection, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s. Abbottabad was founded in 1853 by Major James Abbott, the first Deputy Commissioner of the Hazara District. This district ran from the Himalayas in the north towards Rawalpindi in the south. Abbottabad was a cantonment, or permanent Army base, for the region. The garrison there consisted of four Gurkha battalions and four mountain batteries; this is a view of some of the mountain battery buildings.